It can be a real challenge to decide which construction contractor in Winter Park, FL to hire for your home remodeling or construction project. You certainly cannot go by flashy advertisements or low price alone. While many will be happy to tell you all about why to hire them, you should be on the lookout for the following ways to spot a questionable construction contractor and save yourself a lot of grief.
- Price too good to be true – If the quote you get seems too good to be true, it probably is. They may tell you things such as that they have leftover material from another job, but all that really tells you is that the last guy paid for materials he didn’t get. A low bid can also mean they plan to use sub-par materials or that they plan to hit you up for “unexpected” changes later.
- Evades request for license and insurance confirmation – This is a huge red flag, in that they are likely lacking one or the other. Either situation can be a nightmare for you. Always verify a construction contractor’s license and insurance information. All it takes is a couple quick calls, and you can even have the insurance company provide you with a Certificate of Insurance, so that they will immediately notify you if the insurance policy lapses.
- Scare tactics – A questionable construction contractor will often use scare tactics to get you to sign a contract without taking time to think about it and read it carefully. Comments such as “sure you can get back to me, but realize that your house is a fire hazard right now so the quicker we get going, the better” are a sure sign they want to rush you and probably not for the reason they are giving you.
- Warranty – If the construction contractor is not willing to discuss or give you a reasonable guarantee, they already know their workmanship is shoddy.
- Waiver of Lien – Ask the construction contractor if they will be supplying you with a Waiver of Lien at the end of the job. If they act like they don’t know what you are talking about or they sidestep the discussion, you definitely don’t want this construction contractor.
Now that you know some of the ways to spot a questionable construction contractor, know that you won’t spot any of these problems with Eden Construction. We are members of a number of associations, guarantee our workmanship for 2 years, carry full-coverage liability insurance and are more than happy to provide a waiver of lien at the end of your job. We’d never risk our 30+ year reputation by doing anything less than quality work at a fair price. Give us a call for a free consultation and estimate, and ask us anything you’d like!