If you are considering a sunroom addition to your home, at some point you will need to make the decision about whether to go with glass windows or acrylic windows. Each has specific benefits, and although you are probably already familiar with glass, you may not know about some of the key benefits of acrylic windows.
- Weight – Since acrylic is less dense than glass, it weighs less. This makes acrylic windows especially good for storm windows.
- Cost – It is cheaper to produce acrylic than glass, so acrylic windows are generally more affordable than glass windows.
- Strength – Because acrylic is 17 times stronger than glass, it takes more force to break acrylic windows than glass windows. This can make a big difference for those that live on a golf course in Winter Park, FL or are concerned about hurricane damage.
- Insulation – An acrylic window is about 20% more effective at reducing temperature change than a glass window, which can save you money on your heating and cooling costs.
- Lighting – Acrylic windows transmit a bit more light than glass, making them ideal for sunrooms. Although they let in more light, they still filter the UV light quite well.
If you choose acrylic windows, you will need to get instructions on how to best clean them, as typical window cleaners can be damaging to them. They may also be a bit more prone to scratches, although the scratches can be buffed out fairly easily. If you have questions about acrylic windows and need advice about whether they would be a good option for your needs, give us a call at Eden Construction. We provide free consultations and estimates on acrylic windows, sunrooms and other home improvement projects.