A mother-in-law suite commonly includes amenities such as a private bathroom, functioning kitchen, bedroom, and living space. However, not all mother-in-law suites have the same workable area. Learning to incorporate unique storage and space-saving ideas will allow you to make the most of your suite, no matter the space you have to work with.
- Convertible Furniture- This will give your mother-in-law suite some of the most workable area. In a small mother-in-law suite, you may not have the space to dedicate an entire room as a bedroom. In some instances, you may be entertaining more than a few guests. In either case, convertible furniture will give your guests luxury at night and space during the day. Trundle, pull-out beds, and convertible couches are a great option for this.
- Stairwell Storage- If your mother-in-law suite is located downstairs or if it is designed with a staircase, there is a large amount of useable space below the stairs. You can use this space as a place for your guests to store suitcases and bags, or you may want to keep extra blankets handy for your guests.
- Stacked Laundry Facilities- Your guests will greatly appreciate having their own laundry facilities in the mother-in-law suite. If you feel you don’t have the room to include them, you may want to consider a stacked washer/dryer combination. These combination appliances can fit in relatively small spaces, including closet spaces.
- Pull-Out Cupboards- Pull-out cupboards and shelves will make any space seem larger and more workable. You can incorporate pull-out cupboards into your kitchen and bathroom cupboards, kitchen pantries, closets, etc.
- Sliding Doors- Sliding doors allow a space to be easily accessible as well as private. Sliding doors don’t need as much space as swinging doors and are a great solution for very small mother-in-law suites. They can be used to close off many areas in the space, allowing your guests to have their much-needed privacy.